As September draws to a close, the early signs of autumn begin to appear: leaves are suddenly gold, red and amber; a chill has crept into the air; and grocery stores are suddenly beset with an ambush of root vegetables and squash.
Although fall means the end of summer, it is also the beginning of the 2012-2013 season of local music, art and theater. This week, the Entertainer has put together a season preview of all things music, starting with ...
Between the Cracks
The Between the Cracks Music and Technology series takes place Saturdays at 7 p.m. at The Arts Center, 700 S.W. Madison Ave., Corvallis.
• Oct. 27 — Lori Goldston (cello) and Dana Reason (piano)
Info: www.lorigoldston.com; www.danareason.com
• Nov. 10 — From San Diego: Ellen Weller (saxophone) and Madelyn Byrne (composer/electronics)
Info: www2.palomar.edu/users/eweller; www.madelynbyrne.com
• Jan. 12 — From Colorado: Jane Rigler (flute and electronics) in a premiere of new work for flute and electronics by Los Angeles composer Allison Johnson
• Feb. 9 — From Southern Oregon: Tess Brinckman (flute)
• March 9 — From OSU Music: Angela Carlson and Becky Jeffers, with new work by Dana Reason
Info: http://oregonstate.edu/cla/music/angela-carlson; http://oregonstate.edu/cla/music/jeffers
• April 11 — From Montreal: Aiyun Huang (percussion)
Tickets: $10 general, $5 with Arts Center membership and free for students
Chamber Music Corvallis
All performances begin at 7: 30 p.m. in the LaSells Stewart Center, 875 S.W. 26th St., Corvallis
• Icicle Piano Trio
Tuesday, Oct. 9
Program: Rachmaninov, “Elegiac,” Trio in G minor; Brahms, Trio in C, Op. 87; Clara Schumann, Trio in G minor, Op. 17
• Calder Quartet
Tuesday, Nov. 13
Program: Mozart, “The Dissonant,” Quartet in C, K. 465; Ades, “The Four Quarters”; Ravel, Quartet in F
• Trio Solisti with Soprano Amy Burton
Friday, Jan. 25
Program: Beethoven, 14 Variations in Eb, Op. 44; Moravec:, “Vita Brevis” (piano trio and soprano); Beethoven, Scottish and Irish Songs (piano trio and soprano); Schubert, “The Shepherd on the Rock” (piano, violin and soprano); Chausson, Trio in G minor, Op. 3
• Auryn Quartet
Wednesday, Feb. 27
Program: Haydn, Quartet in C, Op. 50, No. 2; Britten, Quartet 2 in C, Op. 36; Beethoven, Quartet in C# minor, Op. 131
• Jon Manasse and Jon Nakamatsu
Thursday, March 14
Program: Brahms, Sonata in Eb, Op. 120, No. 2; Liebermann, “Elegy”; Chopin, “Andante Spianato” and “Grande Polonaise,” Op. 22 (piano solo); Debussy, “Premiere Rhapsodie” for clarinet and piano; D’Rivera, “The Cape Cod Files”; Novacek, “Two Rags” from “Four Rags for Two Jons”
• Diotima Quartet
Wednesday, April 17
Program: Janacek; Quartet No. 1, “The Kreutzer Sonata”; Bartok, Quartet No. 6, Sz. 114; Brahms, Quartet in A minor, Op. 51, No. 2
Tickets: $132 for a six-ticket season package and $24 for each individual concert, available at Grass Roots Books & Music
Corvallis Community Band
Only two concerts have been announced; check the Entertainer or the Corvallis Community Band’s website for updates on the season.
• Holiday Concert
7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 11
First Methodist Church Community Center, 1165 N.W. Monroe Ave., Corvallis
Program: Classical and popular holiday favorites.
• Spring Concert
3 p.m. Sunday, April 28
LaSells Stewart Center, 875 S.W. 26th St., Corvallis
Program: Selections of faith and inspiration music from the classical and popular genres.
Corvallis Repertory Singers
• Young Guns: Early Compositions, with chamber orchestra
3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 7
First United Methodist Church,1165 N.W. Monroe Ave., Corvallis
Program: Bach, “Christ lag in Todesbanden” (age 22); Haydn, “Missa brevis in F” (age 18); Mozart, “Waisenhaus” (age 12)
• Candlelight & Carols
4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16
First United Methodist Church
Program: Vaughan Williams Hodie, with strings and organ; old and new carols
• CRS Chamber Singers host a British Invasion
3 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27
First United Methodist Church
Program: Purcell, Tallis, Handel, Rutter, Walton, Vaughan Williams, The Beatles, with brass and organ.
• Passion, Virtue, Revenge: Opera at the Whiteside
7 p.m. Thursday, April 18
Whiteside Theatre, 361 S.W. Madison Ave., Corvallis
Program: opera choruses, arias, ensembles; Verdi, Bizet, Gershwin, Bernstein, Gilbert and Sullivan, and others.
Tickets: $65 for the season, $20 main floor and $15 balcony for single concert
All Corvallis-OSU Symphony concerts take place at the LaSells Stewart Center, 875 S.W. 26th St., Corvallis.
• Halloween with Harry
3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28
$15 in advance, $17 at the door
• Chopin, Debussy & Ravel
3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 18
Program: Chopin, Piano Concerto No. 2; Debussy, “Nocturnes”; Ravel, “Daphnis et Chloe, Part 2”
• Holiday Favorites
3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2
Program: Holiday favorites with OSU Choruses.
• Strauss & Tchaikovsky
7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 20
Program: Strauss, “Ein Heldenleben”; Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto No. 1
• Bach, featuring the OSU Chamber Choir
7:30 p.m. Friday, March 15
Program: Bach, “St. Matthew Passion”;
8 p.m. Tuesday, May 21
Program: Mahler, Symphony No. 5
Tickets: Reserved tickets can be purchased online for $18, $25 or $30; general admission tickets are $18 in advance, $20 at the door. Advance tickets are available at Grass Roots Books & Music and Gracewinds Music.
Corvallis Youth Symphony Association
All CYSA concerts take place at LaSells Stewart Center, 875 S.W. 26th St., Corvallis
• Young Artists Concert, featuring Tatiana Hargreaves, Crescent Valley High School Concert Choir, Corvallis High School Concert Choir, Heart of the Vally Children’s Choir and guest conductor George Thomson
3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9
Program: Ludwig Von Beethoven, Violin Concerto in D op. 61; Hector Berlioz, Roman Carnival Overture op.9; Antonin Dvorak, “Te Deum” op. 103
• Pink Martini and CYS, 30th Anniversary extravaganza
7:30 p.m. Feb. 23
Tickets on sale beginning October 31.
• The Music of Kenji Bunch & Friends, featuring Kenji Bunch, Monica Ohuchi Bunch, Adam Matthes and Ottorino Respighi
Program: Kenji Bunch, “Cookbook” for viola and orchestra, and the Northwest premier of “Piano Concerto”; Ottorino Respighi, “The Pines of Rome”
For tickets and more information, see www.cysassoc.org.
“The Red Room” series
The Red Room improvised music series takes place at 7 p.m. at Interzone, 1563 N.W. Monroe Ave., Corvallis.
• Thursday, Oct. 4 — From Corvallis: Ryan Biesack (drums), Kevin Patton (electronics/guitar), Steve Willis (bass) and Dana Reason (piano)
Info: www.willamette.edu/cla/music/faculty/biesack/index.html; http://oregonstate.edu/cla/music/kevin-patton; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Reason
• Monday, Oct. 8 — From New York: Louise Dam Eckardt Jensen ( saxophone, flute, vocals, electronics) and Tom Blancarte (upright bass)
• Thursday, Oct. 11 — From Texas: Thomas Helton (bass)
• Tuesday, Oct. 16th — From New York: Matt Shipp (piano), Michael Bisio (bass) and Whit Dicky (drums)
• Thursday, Oct. 25th — From Seattle: Lori Goldston (cello), Daniel Higgs (guitar,banjo and vocals), Jaap Blonk (vocals) and Arrington de Dionyso (bass clarinet and vocals)
• Thursday, Nov. 1 — Michael Coolen (piano/electronics)
• Wednesday, Nov. 14 — Sharp Three from Los Angeles: Goh Kurosawa (guitars: acoustic, electric, sitar, flamenco, classical), Kai Kurosawa (basses, tap-style instruments, ukulele bass) and Chuck van Haecke (percussion)
• Thursday, Dec. 6 — David Trenkel (electronics) with special guests
The series will continue again in Jan. Tickets are $5 on a sliding scale.
Series info: http://on.fb.me/NN9iLL
Willamette Valley Symphony
Willamette Valley Symphony concerts take place at 7 p.m. Saturdays, at First Christian Church, 432 Ferry St. S.W., Albany, followed by a 4 p.m. performance Sundays at Ashbrook Independent School, 4045 S.W. Research Way, Corvallis
Nov. 10 and 11
Program: Ludwig van Beethoven, “Egmont Overture”; Felix Mendelssohn, Violin Concerto in e minor, opus 64; Johannes Brahms, Symphony No. 2 in D Major, opus 73
March 16 and 17
Program: Alexander Borodin, “In the Steppes of Central Asia”; Bedrich Smetana, “The Moldau from Ma Vlast”; Agustin Lara, “Granada”; Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, “Capriccio Italien,” opus 45; Franz Liszt, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in c minor; Modeste Mussorgsky (Tushmalov), “Pictures at an Exhibition”
June 8 and 9
Program: John Barry, “Dances with Wolves Suite”; George Gershwin, “Rhapsody in Blue”; Howard Hanson, “Romantic,” Symphony No. 2, op. 30
More upcoming concerts:
• Heart of the Valley Children’s Choir’s Eric Whitacre Concert, featuring Corvallis High School, Crescent Valley and OSU choirs
Tuesday, Oct 30. at First Presbyterian Church, 114 S.W. Eighth St., Corvallis
• Jubilate! Women’s Choir of Corvallis’ Winter Concert
7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15 at First United Methodist Church, 1165 N.W. Monroe Ave., Corvallis, and 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 21 at Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 2945 N.W. Circle Blvd., Corvallis
• Lebanon Community Chorus’ Winter Concert
3 p.m. Dec. 9 at First Assembly of God, 726 W. Oak St. Lebanon