Event to mark other methods of transportation is set for Saturday

Saturday marks World Car Free Day, an international event that encourages people to leave their cars at home and use other methods of transportation that save fuel and don’t pollute the air.

For the third year in a row, Corvallis is hosting its own car free day celebration. Thousands of residents of residents participated in the event last year.

Several changes are planned for Saturday’s event, which falls on the opening day of the Fall Festival.

Organizers are encouraging the use of Corvallis’ transit system to travel to and from the Fall Festival. The effort, dubbed the “Bus Stop Project” is being spearheaded by Cascades West Rideshare, one of the co-sponsors of the Corvallis car free celebration.

As part of the bus stop project, students in Julie Williams’ sustainability class at Corvallis High School are scheduled to hand out bus stop information specific to neighborhoods near the high school.

Students also will distribute information about World Car Free Day and online resources that connect people to other transportation options, including carpool groups.

Annette Mills, director of the Corvallis Sustainabiliity Coalition, said she’s excited about the bus stop project. The Corvallis Sustainability Coalition also is a main sponsor of the Corvallis car free celebration.

“We’ve focused a lot on bicycling the past two years,” Mills said. “So we thought it would be great highlight the city’s bus system. We were so excited when Cascades West Rideshare decided to take on the bus stop project. They have done a great job.”

But bicycle riders also will find plenty of support this year for their form of transport.

A free bike valet area will be located at the City Hall parking lot located next to the Corvallis Transit Center on Sixth Street and Monroe Avenue. People who ride their bicycles to the Fall Festival can leave their bicycles in a safe, secure spot.

Also, returning for its second year is a bike swap meet. From noon to 6 p.m. at the Madison Avenue Meeting Room parking lot, Fifth Street and Madison Avenue, people can browse and buy used bicycles.

Bicycles in good repair can be dropped off between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the same location. While 85 percent of the proceeds of a bicycle’s sale goes to the seller, the remaining 15 percent benefits the Corvallis Bicycle Collective.

Corvallis car free day sponsors and other local businesses and organizations will have booths along Madison Avenue in front of City Hall.

Raju Woodward can be contacted at 541-758-9526 or raju.woodward@lee.net.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.