The superintendent of the Corvallis School District says its one-to-one iPad program will not expand to every student in Corvallis in the 2014-15 school year, as previously was planned.
Superintendent Erin Prince told the Gazette-Times that the district is evaluating the next steps for its 1:World technology plan, which has a goal of providing every district student with an iPad for use at school and at home.
An article on page A3 in Friday’s paper incorrectly paraphrased Prince as saying the district would continue with its plan to provide every student with an iPad by the next school year.
Prince said the district is planning to collect information from staff and the community about how to proceed with the program. She said that feedback will be used to make recommendations to the school board.
“We know that (the iPads) will not be district wide,” she said.
Prince said options for the program include maintaining it at its current level. This year, both the district’s middle schools, an elementary school and select programs within other Corvallis schools are using the iPads, which can be taken home by students in third grade and above with parent permission. She also said the program could be expanded to select grades or schools.
“We have decided to not go to full implementation in 2014-15 since we want to continue to build capacity with our infrastructure and professional development with staff and parents,” she said.
To read Friday’s article on the program, see: http://bit.ly/19XnCOh.