Philomath Fire Department
BRAD FUQUA, PHILOMATH EXPRESS

A fire started by a space heater destroyed a barn in Philomath on Sunday, the Fire Department said.

No people or animals were injured in the blaze, said Fire Chief Tom Miller of Philomath Fire & Rescue.

Firefighters responded about 5 p.m. to the 24000 block of Brumfield Lane, he said. The upstairs loft of the barn was on fire, and the homeowner was attempting to extinguish the blaze with a garden hose. Firefighters quickly gained control of the fire and remained on scene until about 7:30 p.m.

Crews from the Corvallis, Monroe, Blodgett, Alsea and Kings Valley fire departments also responded, Miller said.

The barn is a total loss, he said. Miller estimated the loss at about $60,000, including belongings inside the structure, such as tools and antique records.

Miller encouraged anyone who uses a space heater to ensure it’s in proper condition and used in a well-ventilated area. He also said a space heater should never be left unattended.

Lillian Schrock covers public safety for the Gazette-Times. She may be reached at 541-758-9548 or lillian.schrock@lee.net. Follow her on Twitter at @LillieSchrock. 

1
1
0
0
1

Load comments