UofO law student Zach Baker announces run for Ward 3 council seat

2014-04-02T17:30:00Z 2014-04-02T22:44:06Z UofO law student Zach Baker announces run for Ward 3 council seatBy JAMES DAY, Corvallis Gazette-Times Corvallis Gazette Times

University of Oregon law student Zach Baker has announced that he is running for the Corvallis City Council.

Baker, 31, said he will run for the Ward 3 seat in south Corvallis currently held by Richard Hervey.

Hervey, who also is serving as council president this two-year cycle, announced Monday that he will not seek a fourth term.

“My experience writing policy, working closely with elected officials and facilitating public participation in the political process will allow me to hit the ground running and complement the collective experience already on the City Council,” Baker said.

Baker expects to graduate from Oregon in May. He is concentrating on environmental and natural resources law.

Baker has served in numerous public policy posts in the past decade, including the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the National Wildlife Federation and the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition.

Baker, who lives in south Corvallis, has served on the board of directors of the Willamette Valley Sustainable Foods Alliance and volunteers with the Benton County Community Rights Coalition.

“I am running for City Council to help make city government work better for all of us and to create a sustainable economic and environmental future,” Baker said.

Baker is the first candidate to come forward in Ward 3.

Election packets, which will include filing deadlines, will be available July 1. The election is Nov. 4.

Contact reporter James Day at jim.day@gazettetimes.com or 541-758-9542. Follow at Twitter.com/jameshday or gazettetimes.com/blogs/jim-day.

Copyright 2016 Corvallis Gazette Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(14) Comments

1. CluckerFun
    CluckerFun - April 06, 2014 1:25 pm
    I'm excited to hear that the complex idea of sustainability is on this candidate's mind. Buzz word or not, it's a super important idea to be thinking about...and engaging in meaningful dialogue around. I'm interested to hear more about Zach's ideas on sustainability as the campaign season warms up. Cheers to him for stepping up and running for office. Here's to a vigorous and thoughtful campaign.
  2. sachin
    sachin - April 05, 2014 3:48 am
    I would think they could do more than spout the usual nonsensical words we were given. Unless he can explain his path of law student Zach Baker
    gaur suites
  3. N-Titled
    N-Titled - April 04, 2014 10:51 am
    I hope we can get a candidate who will run because they want to create a collaborative holistic approach towards fostering a sustainable and inclusive situation in which one can embrace a nurturing progressive dialogue from which differing ideas can be vetted to seek common ground leading to action plans that can be presented for positive consideration in an inclusive manner to propel the environmental and economic trends that has made this community a beacon for innovative concepts born from neighborhood participation and stakeholder meetings thereby preserving our sense of community in a global thinking and forward manner that promotes a consciousness and appreciation of our fragile surroundings and the interaction therein.
  4. Anikita786
    Anikita786 - April 04, 2014 10:23 am
    I am running for City Council to help make city government work better for all of us and to create a sustainable economic and environmental future.
  5. dileep
    dileep - April 04, 2014 2:13 am
    I am grateful you elect. I would wish that you platform your elect on more than one paper content and take benefits of the community boards between now and Nov to inform yourself about what your other people mean by durability. It is not a fad. Not just another "cool" term. ipl 7 live score
  6. Austin
    Austin - April 03, 2014 1:25 pm
    Really, Volcano...I'm out of line for wanting to know what a candidate for our city council stands for? For wanting to know what he means by his elevator pitch statement: “I am running for City Council to help make city government work better for all of us and to create a sustainable economic and environmental future,”. And for wanting to know how he intends to work and or achieve that goal?

I understand your simple minded ilk gets all warm and fuzzy over bumper sticker slogans (Hope and Change ring a bell?). But thinking people want substance. Why are you excited for Zach running? What is it you think he will do that warrants your adulation of him from this "simple announcement"? Let’s see if you can articulate it without the “ignorant shrieking” you displayed above. Are you up to it, Sparky?

BTW….doesn’t matter what ward I’m in. It only takes five of these clowns to scr*w things up for all of us.
  7. VOLCANO
    VOLCANO - April 03, 2014 12:37 pm
    Austin......you are SO out of line here. Wow. So you want more information from the candidate, great! You can bet there WILL be more. This was a simple announcement that the guy is planning on running for the seat and his general impetus for running and experience. The actual campaigning is the NEXT step. AND I would have to say that the vast majority of claptrap, vacuous, baseless, senseless, meaningless, nasty spinning of buzzwords and statements come from a certain party with an 'R' at the beginning. Let me guess which side of the fence YOU'RE on....no don't bother. We all know already. Most of my family is in Texas and I hear the ignorant shrieking all the time, unfortunately. I for one am excited for Zach AND I live in his ward...do you?
  8. Austin
    Austin - April 03, 2014 12:04 pm
    You still haven’t defined what you believe is a “sustainable community” and how that would be achieved. Sustainable for who? At what cost?

If Mr. Baker has a “great deal of substance in this area” then he should have no problem being definitive in what he means by making “city government work better for all of us and to create a sustainable economic and environmental future,” and how that would be achieved. Otherwise it is just a bunch of “cool” words with no substance.

Does a “sustainable environmental future” mean maintaining the ban on plastic bags? Does mandating that stores charge a fee for paper bags create a “sustainable economic future”? Are such mandates imposed by the council fostering a city government that works better for all of us? Is he willing to fight to reduce real cost in the city’s budget including cutting some “treasured” but non-essential programs to achieve a “sustainable economic future”? If he cuts such programs is city government working better for ALL of us?

When a candidate is given a free opportunity to introduce and sell himself in the local paper I would think they could do more than spout the usual nonsensical words we were given. Unless he can explain his path for achieving his stated goals…there is no substance. Just bumper sticker slogans.
  9. occupystephanie
    occupystephanie - April 03, 2014 9:57 am
    Mr Baker has a great deal of substance in this area. As well as an education in this, he has been very active in community work to achieve a sustainable community, spending long hours volunteering even while he has been going to college.

I am glad you vote. I would hope that you base your vote on more than one newspaper article and take advantage of the public forums between now and November to educate yourself about what your fellow citizens mean by sustainability. It is not a fad. Not just another "cool" word.
  10. Austin
    Austin - April 03, 2014 8:22 am
    "fashioning a sustainable community"

And this shows the "I like using cool words with no substance" part I still flailing around.

Define "sustainable community" and how you would go about achieving it.

BTW: I vote. But only for candidates I agree with and can articulate what they stand for rather than tossing out nonsensical cr*p like "make city government work better for all of us and to create a sustainable economic and environmental future,” Which has no meaning as it lacks substance.
  11. Austin
    Austin - April 03, 2014 8:15 am
    Yes..when we are feed the usual string of meaningless buzzwords. Tel us how exactly you plan to achieve this so we can weigh the merits of this candidate and his plans.
  12. occupystephanie
    occupystephanie - April 03, 2014 7:49 am
    So glad to see this in my morning paper! If there is one thing we need it is younger citizens stepping forward to public service. His background and stance are perfect for Corvallis in these times as we rise to the challenges of fashioning a sustainable community.

(The first monosyllabic comment shows that the Apathy Party is very much alive and well. Fortunately, many of these are too apathetic to vote.)

13. Harpy
    Harpy - April 03, 2014 12:36 am
    Is such rudeness necessary?
  14. Austin
    Austin - April 02, 2014 6:17 pm
    >“I am running for City Council to help make city government work better for all of us and to create a sustainable economic and environmental future,”

Blah, blah, blah....

*yawn*
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick