Mailbag: Corvallis Climate Summit

2014-02-02T09:00:00Z Mailbag: Corvallis Climate Summit Corvallis Gazette Times
February 02, 2014 9:00 am

This past Sunday (Jan. 26) marked a significant gathering that may have gone unnoticed by many.

It was the first-ever Corvallis Climate Summit, approximately 250 community members and representatives of more than 20 local groups that work on issues related to climate change, together in one room.

The summit was organized by a committee with representatives from many of these local groups, the beginning of collaborative action with plans for continued collaboration.

The best antidote for worry and fear is taking action. There are many opportunities to do so here in Corvallis, and I hope that more will join in on some of the planned follow-up actions happening in February. You can find out more at 350corvallis.org.

Kris Paul

Corvallis (Jan. 27)

Copyright 2015 Corvallis Gazette Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(24) Comments

1. Milt
    Milt - February 08, 2014 9:38 am
    To Azatlani, Your response is amazing. Yes I do think I can afford a nickel, but why should I pay for a bag twice. The cost of a bag has always been charged to you by adding it to the price of what ever you buy. Now we get to pay for it twice. As far as plastic bags, I still have a lot in my garage that I still use. I don't advocate waste or abusing our planet, but I don't believe shipping a non-recyclable bag from China, or from any where else, is a benefit to our environment. These bags are much thicker and must end up in the landfill, because they are not recyclable!. Face it, you have not seriously analyzed this issue. The main points used to pass this ordinance were false, and these climate groups are ignoring the negative impact of the bag ban. They are defending the wrong position, but don't want to admit it. Using sustainable recyclable low carbon foot print products is the position you want to support! What is your argument against that?
  2. Azatlani
    Azatlani - February 05, 2014 10:48 am
    The nickel a bag fee gives you a nice bag, what did you do with it? Are you short of nickels or just want to vent? What did you do with all those free plastic bags over the years? If they went to the landfill, they're still there, lucky you. Get enough to last, or get over the China-phobia (sinophobia). Attend some meetings to find out what concerned people think, the city has groups. Try 350.org/Corvallis :)
  3. Azatlani
    Azatlani - February 05, 2014 10:39 am
    It is an effective interference tactic designed to prevent the type of community formation this Climate Summit promoted. It should be clear by now that this is a moral issue and it is clear the morality of the interference.
  4. Milt
    Milt - February 04, 2014 1:24 pm
    I'm wondering why the local environmental groups continue to say nothing about the bag ban ordinance. Do they support the forced use of bags made in China? These bags are the worst of the three bags as far as carbon emission pollution. I would really like to hear these groups opinion. Thanks, Milt miltweaver@comcast.net
  5. crypto716
    crypto716 - February 03, 2014 12:46 pm
    I'm not sure what all the sarcasm and name calling is supposed to accomplish. All that does is discredit the sources. Maybe it's just a need to vent. But it certainly makes me appreciate those of you who provide reliable factual information and show the ability to carry on a civil discussion!
  6. Austin
    Austin - February 03, 2014 11:46 am
    Hey, hey hey! Why do you find it necessary to insult morons by equating them with the glo-bull warming loons!
  7. bill gannon
    bill gannon - February 03, 2014 9:27 am
    I suppose they also went into great depths, how our star, 93 million miles away, is not responsible for any climate activity at all, on this rock. To follow the logic of these fools, our star, does not give us warmth, it's a nutritious greenhouse gas that causes warmth.

Most humans have a short memory, the seventy's Time mag had the Coming Ice Age, on it's cover.

The warming crazy's, have stacked the deck in their favor.

The summers are hot = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    The winters are cold = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    It is raining! = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    It hasn't rained in awhile = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    It is snowing = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    We got a foot of snow = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    We got very little snow this year = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    It snowed in Sept. = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    It didn't snow until Feb = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    No major hurricanes in FL = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    Major hurricane in Philippines = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    Earthquakes and tsunami = GLOBAL WARMING/CLIMATE CHANGE
    Remember we burned the witches for a lot less dispute.
  8. TrueConservative
    TrueConservative - February 03, 2014 9:15 am
    What you believe is irrelevant. What you know is obviously nothing. So save your breath (and a few exclamation points).
  9. chippawop
    chippawop - February 02, 2014 11:10 pm
    What a bunch of morons!!! Does anyone really believe that you can do a damned thing about the climate or weather? How stupid can people be? Time to grow up and get a life!!!
  10. Harry Mallory
    Harry Mallory - February 02, 2014 8:46 pm
    Yep, right up to the moment the medical marijuana clinic opens, then the ranks of your concerned people will find somewhere else to be.
  11. rogp
    rogp - February 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Harry
    Interesting you choose the word grace to describe your comments online. The words origin is from the Greek “Charis,” which refers to the pleasing or charming appearance of a fertile field or garden. The graces of Greek mythology, of which there were three, were often associated with the goddess of love/fertility Aphrodite.

So if we stay within the original definition....we might be lead to believe that you are just spreading your fertilizer around and scr...ing with our minds.

rogp
  12. Harry Mallory
    Harry Mallory - February 02, 2014 8:43 pm
    ;)
  13. Harry Mallory
    Harry Mallory - February 02, 2014 8:40 pm
    perhaps you've missed the entire regularly printed (like today) environmental column where they assume global warming actually exists as a threat.
  14. Colleen Tix-Comix
    Colleen Tix-Comix - February 02, 2014 7:55 pm
    I already cancelled my subscription to the GT a while back, but if I were a subscriber now the fact that the GT didn't cover this event would cause me to cancel. This is precisely the type of local event that the GT should cover whether or not they believe that global climate change is in fact cause for concern. The fact that they chose to ignore it confirms my belief that the GT is not my local paper.
  15. Vernon Huffman
    Vernon Huffman - February 02, 2014 6:39 pm
    Thank you, Kris, and all who helped to make the Climate Summit a success. Clearly, many people in Corvallis are concerned and are willing to change their lifestyles to make as big a difference as possible. We've got a lot of work to do!
  16. crypto716
    crypto716 - February 02, 2014 5:34 pm
    I appreciate your letter too, Kris, and was sorry the G-T didn't cover the Climate Summit. It was a wonderful event. I enjoyed being a moderator at one of the tables and soaking up all the positive energy and creative ideas. I bet Harry and Austin didn't "grace" us with their presence!
  17. Serve Crow
    Serve Crow - February 02, 2014 4:17 pm
    God Bless you Harry, please keep gracing us with your wisdom! :)
  18. Harry Mallory
    Harry Mallory - February 02, 2014 12:39 pm
    There needs to be a "like" button on this page!
  19. Harry Mallory
    Harry Mallory - February 02, 2014 12:38 pm
    Troll? Au contraire! I prefer to use the word "grace".
    I grace the comments section of the GT.
  20. N-Titled
    N-Titled - February 02, 2014 11:41 am
    Yes Kris. Thank you for a wonderful letter! Filled with so many facts and ideas and things we should all think about. Don’t listen to the right wing whack jobs below who obviously spend their day strung out on Faux News and overdose on the Limbaugh-Beck crack pipe of hate and intolerance. Our planet is precariously close to environmental Armageddon! We need to cease or destructive ways immediately. I’m doing my part!! I have a “Blue Sky” sign firmly planted in my front yard and I ride the bus. I also interlace my conversations with words like “green”, “sustainable” and “collaborative”. Next week I am going to start composting my feces into my sustainable home garden and buy a bunch of mercury filled squiggly bulbs and light up my house with the “I care” message!!
  21. Austin
    Austin - February 02, 2014 11:31 am
    The folly of your ilk makes it too easy !
  22. tobyk
    tobyk - February 02, 2014 11:11 am
    Thank you for your letter, Kris. The Climate Summit was fantastic! It's too bad the GT couldn't manage to cover it. Also, pay no attention to Austin and Harry's comments. I've noticed they troll on here all the time.
  23. Austin
    Austin - February 02, 2014 10:44 am
    >"the beginning of collaborative action with plans for continued collaboration"

Now, isn't that a liberal mouth full?! It means a bunch of scary stories and group hugs followed by a candlelight vigil.
  24. Harry Mallory
    Harry Mallory - February 02, 2014 9:48 am
    "A recent poll by the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication shows that 51 percent of Americans are “somewhat” or “very worried” about climate change."

Funny...The issue rates next to nothing as a concern according to Pew Research:

Cheer up though: Some local cool-aid drinkers are expressing reluctance to bring up children in the coming global "catastrophe".

The hoax has some benefit!
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Activate subscription button gif
where am i logo
50 Objects

Events Calendar

Login or register to add your events to the calendar! Add event

Poll

Which of these movies, releasing in May, are you most looking forward to seeing?

View Results

Bulletins

Marketplace

Share Your Photos

Staff Photos

Receive Email Updates

Quick notification of big news. Delivered when news breaks (used sparingly).

Top headlines from gazettetimes.com delivered to you daily.

Get updates about the Beaver sports. Delivered 3 times a week.