The meeting dates and process to rename four buildings on the Oregon State University campus were announced in the newspaper recently (“OSU Sets Meetings on Building Names," Aug. 31). The article briefly recaps the claim regarding each building namesake.
As for Benton Hall, the article states that it was named for Benton County. The real truth is that it was named for the citizens of Benton County – there is a big difference. It was the community’s commitment by the citizens in 1885 to raise the $25,000 required by the Legislature to erect a building on the college farm that secured the state agricultural college for Corvallis. That building was originally called the Administration Building and, in 1947, renamed Benton Hall in honor of this citizen effort. As the discussions enfold, it is especially important that the Gazette-Times reports the facts about the four buildings under consideration accurately since it will be a principal source of information for the community about the renaming effort.
Susan C. Hayes
Corvallis (Sept. 5)