Philomath From the Past logo

100 Years Ago


HIKING PARTY: A party of Albany College students left here Sunday noon on the Yaquina train for Philomath on their way to Marys Peak, which they were to climb this morning. The plan was to go to Philomath on the train, walk to Intake Camp, at the point where the Corvallis water supply starts, and remain there overnight. Then, with the first streak of day were to arise this morning, breakfast and start on their climb up the hill. The trip at this time of the year is a beautiful one. The snow on the level is from six to 10 feet deep at the summit and in gorges and ravines it is stacked up more than 20 feet. The view of the surrounding mountains is also very beautiful. Seth French has promised that there will be no cat meat served, the staple diet being “hog bosom and beans.” The party expects to return this evening. (Published March 19, 1917, in the Albany Daily Democrat).

LAND PURCHASE: F.J. Lafky, of La Grande, eastern Oregon, has purchased the 320-acre Devitt place west of Philomath and will take possession in about 30 days. This is the second large farm purchased by the Lafkys in the last few months. The deal was a cash deal and was handled by F.I. Kinney, local real estate agent. (Published March 19, 1917, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

COURT CASE: The wheels of justice will begin to grind in Benton County next Monday at 9 o’clock, that being the opening date of the March term of court with judges Hamilton and Skipworth presiding. There are a total of 110 cases docketed, a slightly lesser number than the average term heretofore has offered. One damage case is that of Mrs. M.M. Copple, of Philomath, against the C&E Railroad. It is claimed that while at the Noon station, she slipped and fell as a result of faulty railroad accommodations there and injured herself in the sum of $2,530 personal damages. (Published March 20, 1917, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

ALSEA’S MAIL: If the officials at Washington get exactly the right view of the situation, there will be an early and highly satisfactory change in the mail schedule between Philomath and Alsea, and the outside world for the latter place. As it is, the Alsea mail gets to Philomath at 10:30 a.m., and the carrier goes back at 2:30, getting into Alsea about 7 or 7:30 p.m. Few get their mail that night, with the result that service is really unsatisfactory. At least 117 out of 118 people affected signed a petition asking that the carrier leave Philomath at 7:30 a.m., which would place him in Alsea about 12 o’clock. Inasmuch as a C&E train delivers mail at Philomath before the carrier’s hour of starting, he would be enabled to deliver the afternoon and morning papers before the news is stale. Children at school, leaving for home at 4 o’clock, will thus be enabled to carry with them in the daily mail. Inasmuch as many patrons live several miles distant, this sort of service would count for much. Not only that, but it is proposed to start the carrier from Alsea to Philomath early enough in the afternoon for him to deliver outgoing Alsea mail in time to catch the C&E train connecting with the night main line trains north and south. The matter is now in the hands of Washington officials. (Published March 20, 1917, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

MORE ON MAIL: Philomath and Corvallis people will be further accommodated by Uncle Sam beginning next Monday. At that time the late evening train Philomath will carry a pouch containing Corvallis mail, including the Gazette-Times. This will make it possible for Philomath people to send here at a later hour and still get a return by evening train. As it is now, mail for Philomath night delivery must be sent to Albany on the early evening train and then it is hauled back to Philomath at a later hour. The new pouch service arranged for by Postmaster Moses will serve some people most acceptably. (Published March 21, 1917, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

75 Years Ago


OPEN SHOP: Mr. and Mrs. C.L. Avery, newcomers from Hutchinson, Kansas, opened a general machine and welding shop this week, in the new building south of Main Street, one block west of Philomath High School. Some time ago, they visited friends in this vicinity and were pleased with Oregon. After going back to Kansas, they decided to move their equipment to Philomath. They are located at 414 North A St. (Published March 19, 1942, in the Eugene Register-Guard).

NEWS BRIEFS: Chairman James Scarth of the local defense committee called a special meeting of observers of the Philomath post this week. About 100 attended. Three Army men gave special instruction. … Boys of the manual training class at Philomath High School are making a set of model airplanes under the supervision of Prof. R.G. Brady, which will be used in training airplane spotters. … Mrs. Sarah Huffman, 93 years old, is very ill at her home on the Alsea highway. … Mrs. E.C. Golden received a cablegram from her son, Capt. Duanne Cosper, who is now on Cebu Island in the Philippines. (Published March 20, 1942, in the Eugene Register-Guard).

BRING NEEDLES: Members of the Past Presidents Club of the American Legion Auxiliary will gather at the home of Mrs. Harry Tibbetts, 738 S. 15th St., Tuesday evening, when Mrs. Tibbetts and Mrs. J.A. Scarth of Philomath will be joint hostesses. The evening is to be spent working on the quilts the club members are piecing for local emergency needs and those attending are to bring their needles, thimbles and scissors. (Published March 23, 1942, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

FOOTBALL STAR: Eugene Hermanson, one of the popular football stars of Philomath High, went to Salem Friday morning to spend the weekend as guest of Coach Keene of Willamette University and attend the state basketball finals. He was to stay at the Alpha Psi Delta fraternity house. Eugene is a senior this year and has played football since his freshman year. …

15 Years Ago


GARVIN RETIRES: Philomath High coach Dave Garvin announced his retirement from high school basketball Friday. Garvin helped lead the Warriors boys basketball team to the Class 3A state championship with a 40-38 overtime win over Central earlier this month. “The final decision came in the last few weeks, but it is something I have been thinking about for a while,” Garvin said Friday afternoon in his classroom at PHS. As a high school coach the last 26 years in Iowa and Oregon, Garvin compiled a 371-221 record with two state titles. In 17 seasons at PHS, Garvin was 261-149 with four trips to the state title game. In the last three years, the Warriors were 72-10 with a first-, second- and fourth-place finish at the state tournament. Garvin will be named Class 3A Oregon Coach of the Year on Tuesday and his son, Logan, will be named Class 3A Oregon Player of the Year. (Published March 23, 2002, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).


Load comments