Makes 2 servings
• 3 ounces fat-free, no-salt-added chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons dry sherry
• ¼ pound Chinese noodles or angel hair pasta
• ½ pound sirloin, flank or skirt steak
• 2 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 cups sliced onion
• 1½ cups sliced shitake mushrooms
• 6 cups washed, ready-to-eat spinach
• 1 cup sliced scallions
• Freshly ground black pepper
Place a large saucepan filled with water on to boil. Mix chicken broth, soy sauce and sherry together in a small bowl and set aside. Boil noodles 2 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain and divide between 2 dinner plates.
Remove visible fat from the steak and cut into thin strips, about 2 inches long and ¼ to ½ inch wide. At the table, heat sesame oil in an electric wok or frying pan or over a portable burner. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the steak and toss in the pan about 30 seconds. Remove to a plate. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes. Add half of the chicken broth mixture and stir. Add mushrooms and cook 30 seconds. Add spinach, scallions and remaining sauce and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Return steak to the skillet and toss with other ingredients. Season with pepper to taste. Remove from the pan and serve over noodles. Spoon all the sauce from the pan over the top.