The Independent Community Club, a nonprofit organization that owns and maintains the Independent School near the intersection of Airport Road and Fain Road south of Philomath, would like to hear from any former students of the historic school.
The ICC plans to recognize the school’s centennial with a celebration on Oct. 6. Leading up to the event, organizers are looking for students that attended the school so they can send out official invitations.
Details and activities of the celebration are still being worked out but among the current plans are to include the display of historic items, music, ice cream, cake walk and games that were played during the years that the school was open.
Independent School was constructed by Fred H. Seedenburg in 1919 on land donated for that purpose by Ernest and Anna Seehafer.
The school later closed in 1952 through consolidation. Enrollment at the school through the years ranged from 15 to 30 students. It also served as a center for the farm community’s families with various socials, parties, church and revival meetings.
The Independent Community Club took over possession of the building in the late 1950s following a deed transfer from the Seehafer family. The ICC has been overseeing the old school since 1959 with an active community center for many years. Today, the ICC continues to host events and maintain the property through the contributions of volunteers.
The Independent School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Former students of the school are asked to call Susie Lisser at 541-760-3211.