Hey Warriors fans, today is Thursday, Oct. 31.
Last year at this time, I was covering a soccer game while still wearing part of my “Waldo” costume (I went to the soccer game immediately after covering Trunk-or-Treat and having fun with my family).
This year, we have no Halloween competitions but for fun, I went back five years to 2014-15 to see how Philomath teams have fared on Oct. 31:
• 2014 football — Philomath had a pretty good regular season, including 4-1 in league play and a 20-point win over Stayton in a play-in game but lost in the first round of the state playoffs on Halloween 2014 with a 57-14 loss to South Umpqua.
• 2015 volleyball — The Warriors played in the first round of the state playoffs with a road trip to Crook County. Philomath didn’t fare so well with a 25-11, 25-9, 25-18 loss.
• 2015 girls soccer — Philomath competed in a play-in game at home against Elmira and came away with a 2-1 victory. The Warriors went on to fall at Corbett in the first round at state.
• 2015 girls cross-country — The girls were seventh in the team standings at the state meet. Junior Meaghan Alba was the top individual with a 20:04, good for 11th place.
You have free articles remaining.
• 2015 boys cross-country — Philomath finished 14th in the team race at the state cross-country championships in Eugene. Individually, senior Tim McIlroy was 61st in 18:20.
• 2017 girls soccer — The Warriors posted a 2-1 win on the road over Gladstone in the first round of the 4A state playoffs. Philomath made a run all the way to the semifinals that season, defeating Scappoose in the quarters and then falling to Valley Catholic in the semis.
• 2018 girls soccer — Philomath hosted Banks in a first-round state playoff game and took a 4-0 victory. The Warriors lost in the quarterfinals to Hidden Valley.
Thanks to the girls soccer teams, Philomath has a 3-2 record on Halloween since 2014-15.
Thanks for reading and I’ll see you at the next game.
— Brad Fuqua, Philomath Express