A 22-year-old Hillsboro man was acquitted of rape and sex abuse charges Monday after a two-day trial in Corvallis ended with a judge's verdict.
Circuit Judge Locke Williams said that inconsistencies in testimony and a lack of physical evidence led him to find Fernando Antonio Gonzalez not guilty of first-degree rape, second-degree sex abuse and third-degree sex abuse.
Gonzalez was accused of raping a woman he met during a party at a townhouse at 2091 N.W. Taylor Ave. on May 17, 2009. Witnesses reported that there were more than 100 people at the party.
"All of the witnesses were intoxicated," Williams said. He said the effect of time and alcohol on a person's memory produced a "number of inconsistencies in the witnesses."
Gonzalez was represented by Jennifer Nash, who argued that the two had taken part in consensual sex. Deputy District Attorney Karen Stanley argued that the woman was raped. Stanley said the woman was asleep and awoke to find Gonzalez on top of her. Stanley argued that because she had been asleep, the woman could not have given consent.