From the Past: PES teacher Colleen Schulze

TEN YEARS AGO: Philomath Elementary School music teacher Colleen Schulze, featured in a 2008 article, lives a life surrounded by music and wants her classroom to be a place where her students begin to understand the joy that music can bring to their lives.

125 Years Ago

1893

PERSONALS: William Wyatt, of Philomath, who is a pioneer of Oregon and one of the largest land owners in Benton County, is the guest of County Clerk W.H. Egan. ... Miss Jennie Taylor, who for several weeks has been visiting with the family of Professor Tait, of Bethel, has returned to her home in the vicinity of Philomath. (Published March 2, 1893, in the Daily Statesman, Salem).

100 Years Ago

1918

EVENT: Miss Ethel Grose, teacher of education at Philomath College, assisted by part of her class, gave a short programme last evening celebrating the centenary of the birth of Charles Dickens. Each number was taken from some of the writings of the great author, and at the close a farce was given. (Published Feb. 26, 1918, in the Oregonian, Portland).

DROWNING: Frank Ellsworth, who was drowned in the river at Falls City some time ago and whose body had not been found until recently, will be buried at the Newton Cemetery tomorrow. He formerly lived in Philomath and was well-known in this vicinity. He was a member of the Woodmen Lodge here. (Published Feb. 26, 1918, in the Oregonian, Portland).

ACCIDENT: Sam Wyatt, prominent Philomath banker, was struck by an auto at the S.P. depot in Albany early this morning and bruised somewhat about the face and body. Mr. Wyatt was waiting for a train to take him to Portland and was going from the depot to the lunch counter on the west side of Lyon Street, when an auto turned to cross the walk leading to the depot. Mr. Wyatt appeared out of the darkness just as the auto reached the walk and was struck by the fender. He was knocked to the pavement, his face skinned up a little and some bruises administered to his body. The young lady who was driving the car was on her way to meet the troop train and in the excitement missed seeing her friends. Those who witnessed the accident state that she was entirely free from blame, for she was going slowly and had the power shut off from her car. Mr. Wyatt was taken to the St. Francis Hotel, where he is resting up and recovering from the shock. He is not badly hurt. (Published Feb. 27, 1918, in the Albany Daily Democrat, Feb. 27, 1918).

75 Years Ago

1943

DEATH: Mrs. Julia Elizabeth Frantz, 86, died Feb. 19 at Kings Valley. She was born near Topeka, Kansas, Dec. 3, 1856, and came to Oregon at the age of 19. She married Wallace Frantz and for many years they engaged in farming at Kings Valley. He died in 1932. (Published Feb. 27, 1943, in the Oregon Statesman, Salem).

MARYS PEAK: The camp on the Alsea Road at the junction of the new road to Marys Peak, formerly a CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) camp, is now occupied by a group of conscientious objectors who will plant trees on the cutover land. (Published Feb. 28, 1943, in the Register-Guard, Eugene).

TRAIN: Jack Dodel, 17, of Philomath, suffered second-degree face burns when the southbound freight train on which he was catching a ride, went through a tunnel south of Eugene at 2:30 a.m. Monday. The boy, who was riding too close to the engine, was brought back to Eugene by Southern Pacific officials and placed in the care of Dr. W.H. Haffner. He was at the Sacred Heart Hospital Tuesday and his condition was reported good. (Published March 2, 1943, in the Register-Guard, Eugene).

50 Years Ago

1968

WREN: Another historical landmark will become a thing of the past on Feb. 29 when the Wren Post Office will be discontinued. Philomath, Route 1, will be the address of all patrons formerly served by the Wren office. The retirement of Postmaster Dell Bergman was given as the cause for this move. (Published Feb. 29, 1968, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

SCHOOLS: A new appraisal of the Philomath School District property will be made this summer, the board agreed as its meeting last night. Last appraisal was made in June 1965, at which time total value was approximately $2,100,000. ... Superintendent Al Neet reported to the board he had receive some 15 applications for the head football, baseball and wrestling jobs. No decision has been reached, he said, but applicants have been filing with him at the rate of three a day this week. ... Representatives of the Philomath Jaycees again asked for the right to sponsor an all-night party for the June graduating class. First such party ever held in Philomath was sponsored by the Jaycees last year. Its success was generally attested, by school and town people alike. (Published Feb. 29, 1968, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

Compiled by Brad Fuqua, Philomath Express

0
0
0
0
0

Editor

Load comments