Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
OSU men's soccer: Beavers lose heart-breaker in overtime

OSU men's soccer: Beavers lose heart-breaker in overtime

  • Updated
  • 0

GREENSBORO, N.C. — Tyrone Mondi scored with less than four minutes left in regulation to force overtime, but the Oregon State men’s soccer team was unable to come up with a late winner as the Beavers fell to Virginia Tech 2-1 in overtime Sunday in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The Beavers end the season 9-5.

The goal was Mondi’s fifth of the season, while senior Joe Hafferty notched his fourth assist of the campaign.

Roman Gabriel came up with a big save in the early going, as a Virginia Tech attacker found himself in on goal. Tsiki Ntsabeleng nearly found the breakthrough in the 10th minute, but his shot from the left side was saved.

Adrian Crespo just missed finding the head of Gloire Amanda in the 20th minute, as his left-footed cross sailed just over the forward’s head. Joel Walker forced a save 10 minutes later, firing a low shot from the top of the box.

The Beavers looked as though they might take the lead just before the break when they were awarded an indirect free kick in the Hokies box. Djeffal’s blast was blocked however, and the sides headed to the break scoreless.

The Hokies went in front in the 54th minute, heading on into the net from close range.

Oregon State nearly leveled the score in the 75th as Amanda hammered one from outside the box — forcing a diving stop. The forward had another chance three minutes later, but his effort off a scramble in the box was over the bar.

Mondi sent the match to overtime after Hafferty headed the ball back into a dangerous position following a scramble inside the area. The senior hammered it home from a tight angle with four minutes left in regulation.

It appeared the ball was going to land out of bounds, bit it was in play and Hafferty quickly sent the ball toward the front of the goal.

Mondi nearly scored late in the first overtime period, forcing the Virginia Tech goalie to make a diving save. The Hokies ended things on a headed goal with under a second remaining in the frame.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News